Saturday, December 4, 2010

Screw you, Percoset

I decided yesterday that I'd rather be in pain than be nauseous for hours.  For that reason, I've stopped taking the Percoset and have moved on to Ibuprofen.  I simply cannot seem to find a prescription pain med that doesn't make me feel like hurling my guts out. Unfair!!

The Ibuprofen works okay.  It doesn't take the pain "almost away" like Percoset, but dulls it somewhat.  I'll have to live with that for now.

I've been thinking about my surreal time in the hospital and realized that I was not asking for enough pain meds from the nurses.  They asked me to rate my pain level 1-10, and I'm sure that I was lowballing it, not because I was trying to "tough it out" but because I had no idea what was normal or appropriate. It was driving Alan crazy but he wasn't sure if he should challenge me or not.  In retrospect, I should have told the nurses whenever it hurt and let the them tell me that I'd had too much.  Thank goodness for the night nurse who simply walked in and stated "here's your dilaudid" and put it in the IV.  The other nurses (bless them, they really were good and attentive) let me call the shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment